Friday, October 5, 2012

1: Santa Cruz

I learned the hard way that Highway 9 isn't actually all downhill. It's downward-trending rollers. I tried to get down from Felton via a dirt path from Conference Dr, but it was gnarly singletrack that became a sandy quagmire that became a broken road. I'm duly convinced of the folly of biking to and from the dance in Felton. I'll take a bus instead.

In Santa Cruz, I visited Bicycle Trip to get a handlebar bag, since my saddlebag is very hard to sift through. The staff there really admired my setup. Then I came to the hostel, waiting for them to open, and met Jimmy, a touring cyclist with a lot of camping and other gear. He was actually trying to figure out how to move here (interviewing at a bike shop) and having been here yesterday was continuing to a nearby campground.

The cottage I'm staying in not only has a piano; the piano actually sounds really good.

Curfew recently changed from 11pm to 12am. This is cool because *all the things* end around 11 - concerts, dances, whatnot.




No comments:

Post a Comment