Monday, October 1, 2012

Two wheels and two feet

The last time I biked to Santa Barbara (with Phil Sung and friends), it wasn't about a destination. We just wanted to enjoy traveling by bicycle, seeing the coast and coasting by the sea, and expanding our horizons to undiscovered parts of the great state of California. That week was one of the most fun I've ever had.

However, it did reach my attention that I missed out on an interesting dance in Santa Barbara by just one week.

A year and a half later, I signed up for a dance weekend in Santa Barbara, Harvest Moon (which, to my disappointment, was not scheduled according to the lunar calendar and is almost on the new moon). I remembered how brilliant it was to travel such distances by bike, but could I do so and still be able to dance? Once I found out, though, that the weekend prior would hold a dance in Monterey called Foggy Moon, with the incomparable Lisa Greenleaf, it was the easiest decision to make. (And a bonus dance in Felton the day before that is the cream on the pudding.)

Since I'd just added a traditional tune called the Moon and Seven Stars to my knowledge, the name for this journey came together naturally. The cycling part happens to be 7 days long, too.

Given the peculiarity of this trip, I'll be doing this one on my own, which gives me the liberty to find spectacular deviations from the normal coastal touring route. My goals are, loosely, to visit some of the best cycling roads on the Central Coast, and to visit some of the best contra dances on the Central Coast, and to have a good time throughout.

(As an aside, I'm going to miss an interesting century ride in Santa Barbara by just one week. Such is fate.)

No comments:

Post a Comment