Monday, October 8, 2012

4: Cambria

The sinuses kept me frequently up, but I managed to sleep until about 8. I wandered back to the general store for some Advil and a breakfast burrito, setting out around 9:30. I was a little concerned about having enough time, since I wasn't feeling optimal (although I decided allergies rather than sickness was more likely given the lack of other problems) and today was my first day of hard terrain after two relatively flat days. I decided I needed to reach Lucia by noon. I succeeded, even with lots of stopping for pictures. Traffic was quite light in the morning.

Past Lucia, the 2 spots where there had been a single lane open last year were still so this year. However, the first was noticeably more constructed than before. Waiting for the signal at the first were 2 other cyclists, one from an organized your, the other from the Sacramento Wheelmen on a club ride to Paso Robles, who said this year he'd seen more cyclists than the last 2 years combined. At Limekiln SP I refilled my water.

I evaluated my lunch options at Gorda, and deciding the restaurant was too overpriced, I had a refrigerated deli sandwich and a moon pie. I watched several cyclists go by going south as I ate.

Climbing to Ragged Point, I passed a pair of cyclists. I saw them again at Ragged Point Inn, where we commiserated over the ridiculously slow service while waiting to order our milkshakes. They were on one of the supported tours, but were from Belvedere. I learned they were a couple when they spoke to reach other as a grumbling old man and growling old woman. Apparently most of their group had taken a SAG option and stopped riding early. I guess you can do that when you're fully supported.

I got a 1.5L water from the store, and unable to fit it all in my bottles, I gave the rest to some cyclists carrying more than I. They were Chris and Matt, from Orange County, and they'd been hammock camping. Their goal for today was also Cambria.

After reaching the flatlands a bit further south, I received my promised tailwinds, and just like last year, I went really fast. This year, though, I did stop for elephant seals.

Cambria is currently full of scarecrows. They're all unique local pieces of art, similar in a way to Cow Parade. I got to the hostel, showered, was given some food that a hostel staffer had just cooked, and went out to look at more scarecrows. I had dinner at a Mexican restaurant that advertised birria and chicken mol err, but sadly had run out of both.








No comments:

Post a Comment